Frequently Asked QuestionsQ: What are the benefits of joining this practice?
A: In a typical primary care practice, the doctor cares for approximately 3,000 patients. By limiting the number of patients in his practice to approximately 400, Dr. Parsons is able to devote more time to preventing illness, early detection, and promoting wellness. More benefits:
- Physician availability 24/7 via personal cell phone
- Annual Comprehensive Wellness Exam (see details below)
- Same day or next day appointments (with the exception of Physical Exams)
- Minimal or no waiting
- Extended, unhurried office visits
- Detailed medical history stored on convenient compact disc
- Dedicated support personnel
- Complimentary travel medicine consultations
- Referral and coordination with specialists as needed
Q: What happens if more than approximately 400 patients sign up?
A: Patients will be accepted on a first-come basis. When membership is full, I will maintain a waiting list.
Q: What is included in the Comprehensive Annual Wellness Exam?
A: The Comprehensive Annual Wellness Physical Examination includes:
- Complete Review of Systems
- Formation and/or Review of Problem List
- Formation and/or Review of Allergy and Medication List
- Review of Vaccination and Procedure History
- Formation and/or Review of Family History
- Formation and/or Review of Social History
- Perform/Interpret Fitness/Activity Status (e.g., Duke Activity Status Index)
- Perform/Interpret Cognitive Status (e.g., Mini Mental State Exam, a.k.a. MMSE)
- Perform/Interpret Psychological Screening (Zung Depression Index & Beck Anxiety Index)
- Perform/Interpret Epworth Sleepiness Index
- Perform/Interpret Nutritional Evaluation/Formation of Comprehensive Dietary Plan
- Perform/Interpret Pure Tone Audiogram
- Perform/Interpret Visual Acuity Screening
- Perform/Interpret Color-Blindness
- Perform/Interpret Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Perform/Interpret Pulmonary Function Testing
- Consultation with a registered dietitian
- Laboratory Testing, Including:
- Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
- Hs C-Reactive Protein (hs-CRP)
- Lipid Panel
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Assay (TSH)
- Complete Blood Count w/ Differential and Platelet Count (CBC)
- Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA-Male Only)
- Serum Iron
- Iron Binding Capacity
Q: Is Medicare accepted?
A: Yes, my practice remains entirely compatible with Medicare and Medicare supplements.
Q: I have HMO insurance. How will my insurance coverage work in this sort of practice?
A: Unfortunately, California law does not permit HMO patients to join a concierge practice.
Q: I have PPO insurance. How will my insurance coverage work?
A: PPO patients are welcome to join. Although I am considered "out of network", all ancillary services such your lab tests, radiological exams, hospitalization, and visits to specialists will be done within your PPO network. As a courtesy, my office will bill PPO patients' insurance companies for my care. PPO patients will be responsible for the remaining balance of the bill after the insurance has paid its portion. Our office will bill PPO patients for this remaining balance (please check with your individual insurance company for further information).
Q: Does my insurance company cover your annual Participation Fee?
A: Generally, no; however, the annual fee may be reimbursed through your corporate benefits plan. The Participation Fee is compatible with flexible spending accounts (FSAs) medical savings accounts (MSAs), and health reimbursement accounts (HRAs). The fee may also be paid through health savings accounts (HSAs). Our office will provide you with the necessary documentation needed to seek reimbursement.
Q: If my husband/wife and I both join, can we get a discount?
A: The annual fee cannot be discounted. This is a patient-limited practice. As such, each of you will have your own special place and needs to be met within it.